Saturday, December 13, 2014

Recasts of Artist Dolls?

     As I mentioned in my post the other day (about being recast friendly), I have slightly different feelings towards the recasting of artist dolls. In short, I'm against it.
     That's not to say I'll necessarily judge people for owning recast artist dolls- I might just a tiny bit, but even then I won't exclude them or get angry. It's not my place. I would just not buy one myself.
     Though I'm aware that doll companies are not large businesses like what we tend to think of "companies" as being, I think there's a significant difference between BJD companies and one-person operations. Artist dolls are made entirely by one person- or maybe a few people. They want to make something special, and it's not usually for the money that they're doing it, it's because they are artists and want to create something beautiful. Sure, artists who work for companies do that too, but there's a lot more people getting paid (the money from sales is spread thinner), and they have a regular salary. There are quite enough people buying legit dolls to keep them employed. However, artists who work for themselves must rely on their sales- they don't have definite income.
     However, the argument, "if you aren't going to buy legit anyway, then they're not losing money" still does apply somewhat, so I really don't judge buyers too harshly.
     Though it may not make perfect, rational sense, I just think artist dolls are extra special (all dolls are special), because of that one person's time and love going into the doll. Though I do wish artist dolls were easier to get, it makes sense that they're not. That's why I won't buy recast artist dolls- I want the doll made special with love, I want to support the artist directly and help keep them doing what they love.

   

     I feel like I should mention, I do think there are exceptions- the only one I can think of (though there may be others) is Kinoko Juice Kiki, because it's actually impossible to buy legit if you don't plan on going to Japan to get it, or managing getting one secondhand for a crazy price. We won't be buying legit either way, whether or not recasts are available.

1 comment:

  1. I'm bit confused what you mean.

    I don't understand how the doll gets less magical when the sculptor is the one who does the selling and sending the package compared to when the sculptor just works on sculpting the dolls as they can trust someone else to do the selling.

    Also its a bit confusing why it's okay for a group of people to suffer when it's not okay in the case of a single individual. No-one's wages come from a vacuum.

    And I don't see why an artist should only be paid as much as they need for living. It seems that you say that if the artist seems to be doing well, they aren't an artist anymore and not worth paying anymore, like all those people in the customer service and packing and sanding, because they aren't the artist, they don't need to be paid?

    What happens when there are three people working under one artist name and three people working as a company?

    I kinda get the feeling that you just have bad feelings towards the word "company" when its just a label and tells nothing of the real situation. And it doesn't make the doll any less or more an art piece.

    Sorry, I hope that doesn't come out offensive, since I'm just really curious to hear more about your thoughts. >x<

    ReplyDelete